When you cook food on this Himalayan salt slab, the moisture from the food draws the salt from the slab, adding rich flavour and trace minerals to the dish. It can be heated up to 250°C and frozen to -20°C, making it an exciting way to serve both hot and cold food. It’s ideal for grilling meat in the oven or braai and can also be used to cure fish like trout.
- Pure Himalayan salt slab
- Great for cooking either on the stove, on the braai, or in the oven
- Perfect for freezing and serving cold food
- Full of all sorts of trace minerals, imparting a rich flavour to food impossible to get with conventional salt
- Moisture helps to draw salt out of the slab, so make sure food is as dry as it can be before laying it on the slab
- Do not use additional seasoning, as the slab will add all it needs
- The longer food is in contact with the slab, the saltier it will be, so wait to plate until the last minute, and cook food quickly
To use on a braai: Heat gently on a cool side of the fire for 15 minutes, and gradually move to the centre to heat fully. Cook on the slab on the fire for as long as you like, or remove to an insulated surface where it will cook for about 20 minutes.
To use for Plankie-steak: braai steak as per your preference, place the salt block on a table, place the steak on the block. Cut into pieces and let it rest for 3-5 min. each person can then salt his own meat from the block.
To use in the oven: Put the slab into a cold oven, and let it preheat with the oven. When the oven is hot and you’re ready to cook, place your food directly onto the slab.
To use on the stove: Heat on a medium flame for about 15 minutes, then turn up the heat for another 15 minutes. Cook directly on the slab for as long you like, or remove to an insulated surface to cook for about 20 minutes
To serve: Freeze overnight, and serve food directly on the slab. Serve at room temperature.
- Size 20 x 10 x 2.5cm each
- Weight estimate 900g per tile
- Make sure to heat the salt slab slowly, to ensure even heating – heating it too quickly can result in large cracks appearing, reducing the life of the salt slab, possibly resulting in shattering
- This product is made from natural Himalayan salt, and it will have natural striations and rough edges
- To clean, remove any solid food pieces and wipe with a cloth
- Store dry for best results